DOST R02 Rolls Out 'Library-in-a-Box' in Tuguegarao City Schools in Support to DepEd's MATATAG Curriculum

May 30, 2024

by DOST -Region 2

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Region 2, in partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd) Schools Division of Tuguegarao City, conducted a virtual STARBOOKS (Science & Technology Academic and Research-Based Openly Operated Kiosks) orientation on May 28, 2024.

STARBOOKS, an initiative of DOST, offers free digital science and technology resources to students in geographically isolated areas. These standalone kiosks, known as STARBOOKS pods, contain a vast library of information designed to spark curiosity and foster a love for science and innovation.

Mr. Carl Joshua Reyes, the regional focal person for STARBOOKS, led the session, orienting the 43 participants from different public schools in the Division of Tuguegarao City on the basics of STARBOOKS, such as updates on the platform, admin and user manuals, connecting to Local Area Networks (LANs), and generating reports and transmittal files.

This online orientation by DOST Region 2 underscores its commitment to fostering scientific literacy and innovation in education. By providing science and technology resources to students, DOST achieves its objective of developing a highly skilled and competent Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) human resource for the future.

The orientation was graced by Engr. Sylvia T. Lacambra, DOST R02 Assistant Regional Director for Field Operations Services, Dr. Gilbert N. Tong, Schools Division Superintendent of SDO Tuguegarao City, Dr. Jonathan A. Fronda, Assistant Schools Division Superintendent of SDO Tuguegarao City, among others.

In addition, 79 percent, or 27 out of 34 units of the project, have been installed, while the remaining 21 percent are still in progress.